What is a Learning Commons?
A Learning Commons is more than a library. It's a physical or virtual space that allows students to be engaged and deepen their learning by critically thinking, problem-solving, collaborating, innovating and communicating. The goal is to broaden student learning beyond the classroom and community. For more information, visit the Alberta Education website.
- Mrs. Campbell
- Miss Stevens
Library Portal (Destiny)
To access the library portal click here, select our school and click the "Red Deer Google" box to sign in with your Google account.
The Learning Commons will be closed on the following dates for diploma exam accommodations:
- June 15-16
- June 20-30
If you require assistance or would like to return textbooks, the side window will be open.
The end of the year is upon us… Textbooks and books must be returned to the Learning Commons side window from June 15-29. Once ALL textbooks/books have been returned, don’t forget to pick up your $15 book deposit. You must present your physical ID card to receive your deposit. The last day to collect your book deposit is Thursday, June 29.
RDCRS Summer Reading Program
What is RDCRS Summer Reads?
- A reading program designed to eliminate summer reading loss.
- Available to all Grade 10 and 11 students.
- From June 1 - June 14 you can check out books from the Learning Commons for the summer.
- Books can be returned to École Secondaire Notre Dame High School and St. Joseph High School in September.
How does the program work?
- To be apart of the RDCRS Reads Summer Reading Program, sign-up with your librarians or Mrs. Lajeunesse to have access to the Summer Reads Google Classroom.
- Every completed book entered into the Google Classroom will equal an entry for prizes! Prizes include gift cards to the ND Café, Chapters or the Cougars Den!
The Online Reference Centre (ORC) offers a diverse collection of reference and information sources. The ORC is available for Kindergarten - Grade 12 students, teachers and parents through a Grant-in-Aid to The Alberta Library from Alberta Education. The ORC is an excellent resource for research papers and research-based projects. Click here to access the ORC.
The Learning Commons encourages creativity and design. Check out our 3D PRINTER. For $0.15/g, you can print any 3D design of your creation. Ask the Learning Commons staff for more details.
Dungeons & Dragons Club
Elves, Orcs and Halfings, oh my! Are you interested in testing your skills in the RPG world? See Miss Stevens in the Learning Commons for more information.