MARKING, EVALUATION, REPORT CARDS, PARENT-TEACHER-STUDENT CONFERENCES
At the beginning of each course, the teacher will outline the course content, objectives and student assessment procedures. Marks are available for viewing at any time throughout the school year using PowerSchool. In addition to this, parent-teacher-student conferences are held each semester. Teachers may forward interim reports to parents at intervals, especially if the student appears not to be achieving his/her potential. Staff encourages students and parents to give early attention to problems rather than waiting until report card grades are issued. All parents and students will be given a password early in the school year in order to monitor academic progress via the internet on a continual basis.
EXEMPTIONS FROM EXAMS
To qualify for an ACADEMIC EXEMPTION in a non-diploma course, you need to meet the following criteria:
- A current average of 85% or higher in that course.
- No more than three unexcused absences in that course.
- All exemptions are at the discretion of the teacher.
- A student may only exempt one course per term.
- A student may only exempt a subject area once.
- For example, a student who exempts Science 10 will not be allowed to exempt Physics 20, Chemistry 20, Biology 20, Science 20, etc.
Students may exempt a final exam in a Religious Studies course and one other course. To qualify for exemption in Religious Studies you must have a current average of 80% or higher, have completed all volunteer hours, and have no more than three unexcused absences. All exemptions are at the discretion of the teacher.
Students who qualify for an exemption must complete the January 2018 Final Exam Exemption for Non-Diploma Courses Form and hand it into the office before the due date.
Parents need to call the school attendance line before 8:30 a.m. the morning of the exam to excuse their child if he/she is exempting an exam.